What’s All This Then?

I can tell from the logs that new folks are coming through from a variety of other places, including Google, so it seems to me that I should explain once again just what’s going on here.

What I’m doing, at present, is working my way chapter by chapter through St. Thomas Aquinas’ Compendium Theologiae, also known as the “Shorter Summa”. I’m not reading ahead, generally speaking; when I sit down to write each blog post I’m coming to the chapter fresh and quite literally working through it, trying to follow the argument as St. Thomas develops it line by line.

So what you’re getting in each post are my reflections as I work through the text, as I try to relate what I’m reading to what’s gone before and to what I understand from other sources, and my questions about the bits I don’t understand.

In other words, do not take my words as any kind of authoritative pronouncement, even if I sound quite certain about them. This blog is simply my way of learning about St. Thomas’ philosophy and theology, and of inviting others to share in the process.

2 Responses to “What’s All This Then?”

  1. JSW says:

    WOW! Someone else struggling with the original Aquinas. The next level down of Aquinas written for the layman (My Way of Life, e.g.) has always seemed to explain the whys and hows of the real world better than anything else. However, when I read the original Aquinas (this work or the Summa) I understand about 90% of the ideas- the other 10% is lost to me in terms used. Unfortunately I have not found a good summation of the terms, with enough examples to see if I understand it. I often think I do, then I come to another paragraph and see (sometimes very clearly!) that I don’t quite grasp it! Look forward to the journey.

  2. Will says:

    That’s why I’m working through it on a blog, of course…there are others to help explain things.